Last year I received tons of beauty gifting, and Ahmad & I decided to try them all and do a recap of our top selects! Beauty products are expensive, and sometimes the packaging is good but the products just don’t deliver. Other times we waste money on trying out the latest and greatest for them to be an epic fail for our skin types! I wanted to round up products that I have spent my money on after the gifting, and ones that I love and use on a regular basis.
Let’s first start off by defining my skin type: DRY, OILY NOSE, NOT SENSITIVE
*LIST BELOW IS BASED ON ORDER OF USE. cleanser, toner, serum / cream, moisturizer, primer
- Colleen Rothschild Cleansing Balm – $65: I have been using this for the past 3 years and can’t get enough. I have one in my beauty cabinet as well as a jar in the shower. I normally use the cleansing balm while I am in the shower at night before bed. It helps get all the access makeup off and a fresh cleanse. I recommend leaving it on while you bathe, and then rinsing it off right before you get out the shower. If you use in the AM, I just start with the balm before I move on to my toner. This cleanser will not leave your face dry after use, which is what I like.
- Herbivore Pink Cloud – $24: I was introduced to Herbivore products during a sponsored trip with Dolce Vita. One of the breakfasts were sponsored by Herbivore and they gave us so many products to take home and I ended up loving the creamy jelly cleanser. It is lightweight (unlike the colleen cleansing balm) and perfect for travel. I have it in my travel bag and use it as my cleanser on vacation now. This particular cleanser works on all skin types, is a good makeup remover, and is based with coconut and rose water that leaves the skin hydrated. This one does not leave my face as moisturized as the balm, so I always follow up with a great face oil afterwards.
- Summer Fridays Super Amino Gel – $35: The Summer Fridays cleanser lathers well, but I will say If you are wearing makeup I would use a makeup wipe first, then use the cleanser because it doesn’t get all the makeup off. It works for all skin types, but if you have super dry skin like me definitely follow with a face oil.
- Colleen Rothschild Matcha Tea Toner – $65: I never use to use toner before until I tried the CR Matcha toner. I can tell a difference in my pores and is a clean feel after application. The bottle is large and a little goes a long way which I love. This toner is great to use in the AM & PM.
- Herbivore Jasmine Green Tea Toner – $39: Ok its really on preference between the two toners, because there isn’t that much of a difference. This one is a spray, and I normally do 3 sprays around my face then pat it in with the palm of my hands. Herbivore toner is good for oily and combination skin.
SERUM / CREAM
- Buttah Facial Shea Butter – $19: Let me start off by saying I just tried this on January 1st because I couldn’t find my face oil I packed, and went into Ahmad’s bag and stole his shea butter. I was literally so wowed! I accidentally fell asleep with my makeup on and my face was feeling dry, and after cleansing I wanted to make sure my face was moisturized. If you have oily skin, this product might not be for you! Also this is a BLACK OWNED brand, so you know I’m a fan!
- IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream – $49: This moisturizing cream always leave my face feeling so smooth and soft. It’s perfect for everyday use, and if you have fine lines / visible pores then I highly recommend using this cream.
- Shani Darden Weightless Oil-Free Moisturizer – $48: Ahmad uses this every morning and loves it! This is woman owned, black owned beauty brand and I had the pleasure of working with them on branded content last year. This is when I first tried the brand and ended up loving their Retinol, and recently within past few months we tried the moisturizer and are fans! Ahmad loves it because its oil-free and it works perfectly for his skin type. I would stay away from it if you have sensitive skin.
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream – $33: This one is another great cream for everyday use, and is super lightweight. Kiehl’s facial cream is gentle on the skin and can be used with all skin types. This is another great product to throw in your travel bag as well!
- Colleen Rothschild Face Oil #9 – $85: Ok, I know its definitely a splurge but this is hands down my favorite face oil. Sometimes I just wash my face, but this on and go and my face stays moisturized all day. I have been using it for over 3 years, and its part of my everyday routine. WORTH THE MONEY!
- Herbivore Phoenix Anti-Aging Face Oil – $88: Another splurge face oil, and like stated earlier I was introduced to this at a brunch the brand hosted. I was use to using the CR face oil #9 and was hesitant to try something new. I tried it and its similar to the CR but a little more lightweight. This one has to be used in conjunction with a moisturizer in my opinion, while the CR doesn’t. I love the consistency and how it leaves the skin feeling dewy.
- Summer Friday’s Heavenly Sixteen All-In-One Face Oil – $55: Third on my list of face oils, and more budget friendly. This is great for sensitive skin and a vegan oil. This is another great product to throw in your travel bag especially if you are going to dry climates.
- Colleen Rothschild CBD Oil – $95: I normally use this at night for the calming factor. It does have a CBD scent to it, just a heads up! I also have one of these in my travel bag to put on after a long travel day.
- Shani Darden Retinol Reform – $88: If you are looking for a retinol that actually works and can see results from being consistent, then Shani Darden Retinol Reform should be your best friend. It helps get rid of dark spots, acne scares and more. I wouldn’t recommend using it everyday because it is strong, but 2-3 times a week (at night only) is plenty. If you have sensitive skin this may be too strong for you, but I will share one after this that will be more suitable. When I partnered with the brand they recommended testing it out one night a week, then increasing from there starting out.
- Colleen Rothschild Retinol Supreme Night Oil – $85: This oil has 9 plant based oils and Vitamin C to help replenish skins moisture! It helps with aging, dark spots, and texture of skin. I love that after use I wake up with my skin feeling soft and moisturized. Make sure to only use this product in the PM as well.
- Colleen Rothschild Micro-Mineral Resurfacing Scrub – $60: I received this in a travel kit and used it in Tulum on vacation and fell in love! I recommend using it once a week as an exfoliator. A lot goes a long way, and it is a rough scrub so be gentle. After using it I can tell a difference in how smooth my face feels.
- Colleen Rothschild Black Tourmaline Primer – $44: I use this before putting on my makeup as a base coat. It smoothes and moisturizes my skin before makeup application, and is lightweight which is perfect!
ACNE / DARK SPOTS REMOVAL
- Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Spot Treatment Mask– $20: Ditch putting toothpaste on your pimple, and try Saturn! I just put a little dab on the pimple before bed, or if I am home all day I put it on in the morning and let it do the work! Acne clears up in 2 days for me (results may differ). It is also good for dark spots, so if retinol is too strong for you, this may be a great option because you can use it directly on the spots as needed.
I hope this list helps narrow down your beauty products to try out this year! Building a consistent skin care routine takes time as products are sometimes expensive and finding what works for your skin. What I love is that you don’t have use all of the same brand in your routine. I use multiple different brands because certain products from each brand work for my skin. Let me know if you all have any additional questions in the comments, or feel free to DM me on IG. Happy New Year #DearFam!