When I found out I was pregnant, one of the things that scared me was of course not knowing how to be a mom. Even though that was one of my biggest fears, being a stylish mom ran close second or third. Working in retail, you always have customers that come in for styling sessions, and the main complaint is that they had kids and lost their drive to get up and look cute each day. I mean lets face it, I’ve been a mom for almost 5 months now, and its very easy to not care some days. You try to dress up and next thing you know your whole outfit is messed up because your baby had a blow out (diaper leakage) or spit up all over your cute dress. Other times, you have been up all night and when you wake up in the morning the last thing you want to do is put on a decent outfit and makeup. Sweats and a t-shirt become your best friend, and next thing you know your child is 5, and you are wearing mom jeans.
A lot of you have asked me what did I do to bounce back in shape, and find appropriate outfits to fit the title of a mother. Truthfully, I didn’t change much. My wardrobe pretty much stayed the same, besides I have to buy a larger size now (which I’m happy about). I still shop at the same stores, but now I look for things that are a little bit more flattering and appropriate. Not to say I won’t throw on my short shorts and run down to the beach, but everyone has to find that common medium to wear what they feel comfortable in wearing. Just because you are a mom doesn’t mean that you can’t be sexy or fashionable.
1. Me Time: No matter what is going on, always try to find a little time for yourself. As a mom, you are lucky when you have 10 minutes to yourself to hop in the shower before the baby starts crying. I know that it may be hard at first, and all you want to do is sleep when you have that hour to yourself. Before you take a nap, put on a cleansing face mask, hop in the shower, then take your nap. You will feel so much better, I promise. The face mask will help your skin stay soft and clean. My me time is when my husband gets off work, and I get to work on my blog. It calms me, and it gives me another excuse to surf the web for things to buy.
2. Go to Garment: A nice black blazer is my go to item. I can put it on with a t-shirt, over a dress, or throw it on with a pair of denim and heels. Your go to garment is what makes your outfit pop, and dress up a little.
3. On the Go Look: No one has time to wake up an extra hour each day to put on a full face of makeup, and curl their hair everyday. For me I feel refreshed by having my basic makeup tools to throw on and run out the door so I won’t look like a zombie to the world. A tinted lip gloss, mascara, and a bronzer are my best friends.
4. Toss out the Diaper Bag: Having a big diaper bag automatically makes you feel like a super mom. You double check it before you leave out the house to make sure you have plenty of diapers, wipes, bibs, and a change of clothes. Before I even had Ashton, I was not giving in to buying a diaper bag. Lastly, you throw your wallet and your lip gloss in the diaper bag and run out the door. I say toss out the diaper bags and get a cute tote instead. I bought a medium size Tory Burch tote that I carry as my diaper bag. Its stylish, and large enough to hold everything I need for Ashton.
5. Mani/Pedi: This could be part of your me time, but for me when I have my nails painted I feel complete. I love shellac because it lasts about 2 to 3 weeks. I don’t have time to go to the spa everyday, so I need it to last a few weeks. I always pick neutral colors that can look good with any outfit since I will be stuck with the color for a while.
Being a mom is one of the most important jobs in the world, so why not be a stylish one 🙂